8/09/2013

The Weaning - at .5

My where has the time gone?  I felt like this blog became sort of a talking space for everything Maura.  Obviously, there is so much more to our lives than Maura....but Maura has certainly added quite a dimension to it.  There are lulls in her medical news and then there are moments of crazy.

Right now we are in the midst of weaning her off Keppra.  We started 4 weeks ago taking a step from 2.5 mls twice a day to 2...and dropping .5ml each dose once a week.  It's been interesting to say the least...

At first, we saw a lot of new language develop out of it.  Maura was starting to come out of her little shell.  She started mimicking us more, and using more signs to convey to us what she wanted.  It was amazing.  She's been struggling so hard with language development, and it's really nice to see her trying so hard now and having some luck with it!  If only food would come as easy...

She's also had a few crazy nights.  Last night, she howled like a beast for nearly an hour around 3 am.  I did go in and nurse her to her content, but she eventually stopped, and wanted to play...I have no tolerance for playing with a 2 year old at 3 am.  I really hope you don't blame me!  I did some googling - something that has played a big part in my understanding of Maura's condition ever since the beginning.  We have no proof because while she's got some words, she can't tell me things like "I'm feeling anxious!" "The room spins!" "I've got a little bit of the shakes going on!"  Yeah...it's called withdrawal...and we think she's got a touch of it.

Hopefully it doesn't last long.  She seems to be more aware of herself, so let's hope the very last step - next week - goes just as smoothly without any seizures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

© 2003 - 2010 Caroline Conroy. Please do not steal!